The visa requirements for entry into Iran differ depending on the passport that you hold as any other countries. Citizens of many countries are eligible for a visa on arrival for up to 30 days. All visa applicants must be ‘approved’ by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) in Tehran. If you are approved, the MFA sends an authorization number to the consulate
if you want to travel to Iran for tourism and general purposes you will need a tourist visa. There are two types of tourist visa for Iran.
Standard Tourist Visa. This visa has been issued before your travel date and you will receive it at one of Iran’s embassies. Iranian consulates or mailed before your planned departure. Good for those who like to plan and make sure everything is right before boarding the plane.
Tourist visa must be obtained before coming to Iran and valid to enter for 90 days from the issue date. It is Issued for up to 30 days and extendable.
Iran Visa on Arrival (VOA) or Iran airport visa: You will apply for this visa and receive it upon arrival. The purpose of the visa is to give a number of nationalities for obtaining visas at the main entrance gateways of Iran. Such as Tehran, Isfahan, Shiraz, Tabriz, Kish and Mashhad airport, and in the southern ports in the Persian Gulf.
Fees vary depending on your country of origin. It is issued for 30 days on arrival at any Iranian international airport.
Iran Visa on arrival
Iran’s popularity constantly increase as a top tourist destination. Especially for the young backpackers in this years. The process of getting visa is now possible through the arrival visa request. Now the process of Iran’s Visa on Arrival is too easy. Save the travelers from all the long processes of embassy interviews or valid invitation letters.
Iran visa on arrival (VOA) is a short term touristic visa. That can be applied for at some of the major Iran’s gates of entry. Like Tehran Imam Khomeini airport (IKA), Shiraz, Isfahan, Tabriz, Mashhad, and Kish international airport. Getting the visa on arrival in Iran especially in the airports are really easy and almost possible for everyone.
The process of getting a 30-day Iran visa in Tehran has been going on for almost two years now. The process is very easy and clear. And also it’s possible to extend it even more easily at immigration offices for another 14 to 30 days depend on the case.
It’s important to check do you exist in list of countries that able to apply for visa at Iran’s airports. According to the last update released early in 2017 by the Iran’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Except for the nationals below, the rest of the countries are eligible to apply for Iran visa on arrival:
US, UK, Canada, Colombia, Somalia, Bangladesh, Jordan, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and India.
If you’re from U.S. OR Canada, you have to be accompanied by an authorized. And licensed travel agency guide through your entire trip. This kind of arrangement works whether you hire an official private tour guide or join a per-organized tour. Also, by booking the official tours, the agency usually will proceed on your visa process as well.
Where you can get Iran VOA?
Iran visa on arrival has 14 – 30 days validity and issued currently at the six airport & ports in Iran. The number of these gateways are rising and soon you might be able to get your Visa at any entry. But for now these are the airports/ports that you issue VOA for tourism related travels to Iran by case base.
- IKA: Tehran Imam Khomeini International Airport
- THR: Mehrabad International Airport
- MHD: Mashhad International Airport
- SYZ: Shiraz International Airport
- TBZ: Tabriz International Airport
- ISF: Isfahan International Airport
- BND: Bandar Abbas Port.
- Shahid Bahonar Harbor, Bandar Abbas
- KIH: Kish international Airport
It’s not possible to apply for a visa on arrival at land borders. and the entrance will be possible only if you have your visa in advance.
Iran Visa On Arrival Requirements and Documents
- A valid passport with at least 6 months validity.
- A photo to be attached to the Iran visa application form. Two passport size pictures is enough. Recently visa officers are using digital camera but still, having your own pictures make the process easier and faster. Female travelers the picture should be with hijab.
- Visa fee in cash, which is payable to the Iran Visa & Passport Office at the airport. Iran airport visa fee depends on the applicant’s nationality. At the moment it’s somewhere between 75-150 euros, but it may different according to the travelers nationality.
- A confirmed return ticket would be a peace of mind. Lots of travelers not sure about their plan and apply for the visa without a return ticket. And it’s almost always fine. But if you have a plan, it would be better to have your return ticket reservation at the first point.
- A travel/medical insurance to get your visa for Iran (does not matter what kind of visa) is needed. To be accepted at the time of issuing visa, it’s necessary that your insurance policy specifically is valid for Iran. Note that the terms of “middle east” or “Asia” on your insurance coverage won’t be acceptable. And you will end up buying a new one in the airport for 16-20 Euro. You can ask insurance company covers to send you a new format with Iran being underlined in it.
- On case by case bases sometime an invitation letter or hotel reservation (hostel in Iran reservation) voucher is asked for. You can ask for an invitation letter from an Iranian travel agency or friend. To be confirmed at Iran Ministry of Foreign Affairs at least 48 hours before your arrival to Iran airport. Or simply show your hostel reservation or voucher to the officer. You don’t need to have a reservation confirmation for the whole length of your trip. The first 2-3 days of your trip will be sufficient.
- Rarely, but possibly you may need to proof your fund ability for your trip. Remember, since the credit cards are not usable in Iran up to now, you HAVE TO BRING ENOUGH CASH FOR THE WHOLE LENGTH OF YOUR TRIP. Dollars, Euros or any other kind of valid currencies in Europe and Asia will be fine for exchange shops in Iran.
The arrival visa fee for most of the countries is 75 euros at the moment. But for few countries it’s up to 150 euros.
Iran Visa on Arrival Process
On the border of Iran you can reach to the officers which usually stand outside of passport checking stations. You will asked for your nationality and if you already have the visa or want to get a VOA.
In case of VOA, you have to fill up an application form. And also your visa fee receipt which you have to pay at the cashier in Dollars or Euros in cash. Then, you have to deliver your passport, application form and receipt to the visa officer and wait for your turn. They will call your name and give your passport back to you with your visa in it. Or ask you some additional questions before handing your passport over. The whole process may take 20 Minutes to 1 hour (in rare cases 2-3 hours).
UPDATE: From the February 2018, the paper-form visa at the Imam Khomeini Airport has been replaced by electronic visa was replaced. Under this action, the visa sticker, which was previously affixed to foreign travelers’ passports, has been eliminated. And visa information will be implicated electronically in the police passport gate. By removing the labels, issuing an electronic visa will significantly reduce the time of incoming passengers.
Applying for Iran’s EVisa
The EVisa Iran process is not mandatory before coming to Iran at the moment. So, no worries about the famous “Reference Number” which seems to be lots of travelers concern. However, it might save you the time of staying in the line at the airport for obtaining your VOA. The process of applying for Iran’s EVisa usually takes 48-72 hours depend on the case and request traffic.
You can apply for your visa through: Iran evisa application website.
Iran visa fees
There are two Iran visa fees involved in getting your Iran Visa, the first one is a flat 60 $ fee that goes toward the initial visa application paperwork, your letter of invitation to Iran and MFA paperwork. The second cost comes when you are going to pick up your visa at Iranian embassy or consulate. This second cost is different based on the applicant nationality. The list of the consular fee is as follows. if your country is not included in the below list you can contact us and ask about How can you apply for Iran Visa and How much you must pay for Iran Visa Fee?
Iran visa on arrival cost
For all nationalities eligible to apply for a visa on arrival in Iran, the cost is currently 75 Euros.
The only exception is for Australians. The cost for an Iran visa on arrival for Australian citizens is currently 145 Euros.
Passports of tourists visiting Iran will not have to be stamped anymore, Iran Easing Entry Rules
Iranian authorities will introduce protectionist measures to support the nation’s tourism industry in the wake of unilateral US sanctions on Iran. Mehr news agency reported.
The Iranian vice president and head of Iran’s Cultural Heritage, Handicrafts and Tourism Organization (ICHTO). Who announced that passports of foreign tourists visiting Iran will not have to be stamped. Proposed legislation for the move has been drafted and approved by the head of ICHTO and main the country’s Ministries.
“While the statistics provided by immigration police of Iran. Show that the number of foreign tourists visiting Iran has increased by 38 percent in the first four months. The number of European visitors show a slight decline which has affected the functionality of our 4 and 5-starhotels.